Growing up in Estonia, we would always have rhubarb growing in my grandparents cottage. We would grab a stalk, a plate of sugar and munch away!
Rhubarb is only in season for a short while, so make sure to grab some next time you notice it at the market or grocery store.
Benefits of rhubarb include:
- Due to it’s high fibre and metabolism boosting compounds, rhubarb is great for weight release
- The most prominent vitamin in rhubarb is actually vitamin K, which plays a very significant role in brain and neural health, as well as bone health
- A compound called rhaponticin in rhubarb helps improve the blood sugar levels in people and thereby helps prevent the condition of diabetes
- Rhubarb can help with perimenopause symptoms by reducing the occurrences of hot flashes, due to the presence of phytoestrogens
- Good amounts of vitamin C and lutein make rhubarb great for eye health
You can make a delicious beverage out of rhubarb and honey, tasty muffins and crumbles, and of course ice cream!
Try the delicious roasted rhubarb and strawberry ice cream below (it’s dairy free and refined sugar free), and don’t forget to share:)