Summer is so full of fun celebrations, trips and family time! And just because you want to live a healthy lifestyle, doesn’t mean that you should miss out.
Today I’m sharing a few of my go-to recipes for parties, that are healthy, fun, simple to make, and taste DELICIOUS!!
(find all the recipes below)
Zucchini Garden Rolls with Zesty Almond Butter Dip
These are a a true work of art and look so beautiful! You can use a spiralizer for the veggies to speed up the process and a mandeline slicer if you have one.
3 zucchinis (look for long and skinny ones)
1 Chioggia beet (these are the pretty pink and white beets – but you can use any type)
2 medium carrots
1 Daikon radish (long white radish – or use any type of radish you can find)
1 package of pea shoots
Zesty Almond Butter Dip
2 Tbsp almond butter
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp fresh ginger root
1 Tbsp tamari
1 tsp maple syrup
Pinch cayenne pepper
Black sesame seeds (optional)
Toothpicks (to hold the rolls together)
How to make:
- Slice your zucchini, lengthwise, using a vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer. Discard the first few top and bottom slices. (you can use those as part of the filler)
- Cut your vegetables using either a spiralizer or slicing them into thin strips julienne style.
- Place 2-3 slices of zucchini on your cutting board and add 2-3 strips of each veggie and a few sprigs of pea shoots on your zucchini. Roll them up and put a toothpick through the middle to keep them together.
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients into a small blender and blend until smooth. Depending on the thickness of your almond butter, you may have to add a little bit more water.
This recipe makes roughly 10-12 rolls.
Pear, Beet + Goat Cheese Appetizer
These beauties usually disappear the fastest. And they are so simple to put together! If you can’t tolerate dairy, you can substitute a cashew cheese or dip for the goat cheese.
2 large pears (Firm Bartlett pears work best)
2-3 beets (peeled and cooked – you can find these in the fridge section of a grocery store)
1 small package of goat cheese (you can use plain or cranberry flavour)
Chopped walnuts and unsulfured cranberries
How to make:
- Slice pear lengthwise and remove seeds
- Add a dollop of goat cheese on each slice
- Cut beet lengthwise into similar shape as pears and place a slice on each pear
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and cranberries
Makes roughly 20-22 pieces.
Careful with this one, it tastes a little too good! If you haven’t heard of shrub before, it’s an apple cider drink concentrate. I used the Cherry Cardamom flavour from Route 18.
Cherry + Cardamom Shrub Sangria
2 parts sparkling water
1 part Cherry Cardamom Shrub
3 parts wine (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
Lime juice and slices
Frozen berries ?
How to make:
Pour over ice and enjoy ? ?