I was talking to my friend the other day and as usual our conversation quickly turned into a discussion about what to make for dinner. For the most part, I try to plan meals ahead. With two little kiddies and a busy schedule, meal planning becomes a survival tool. There are times, however, where the spontaneous-creative-fun-cook has to come out and whip up a delicious dinner that everyone will love, including my three year old very opinionated toddler. Any parent of a toddler will tell you they are your biggest food critics. You really have to take your cooking skills up a notch with these fussy little monkeys!!
So here is a delicious little side dish that is approved by 1 fussy toddler, 1 eleven month old foodie and 1 meat and potatoes loving husband. I was really skeptical about roasted cauliflower, but after trying it out for myself, I can assure it’s absolutely delish! Garam masala is a really awesome warming Indian spice mix that I often use when I’m cramped for time. It has a healing mix of cloves, coriander, cumin bay leaf and cardamom. Enjoy!!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Cauliflower with Garam Masala
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 cups cauliflower (about ½ large cauliflower head)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp sea salt
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 400F
- If you need to melt the coconut oil put it in the baking dish you intend to use for roasting your veggies and put it in the oven for a couple of minutes.
- Add garam masala spice and sea salt to melted coconut oil.
- Wash sweet potato and cauliflower (peel sweet potato if using non-organic) and cut into little pieces.(about 1/2 inch pieces)
- Using your hands or a big serving spoon, toss the veggies in the coconut oil and spice mixture until well coated.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring or twice.
- Makes 3-4 side dishes.